Northern Neck News

Follow Us On:

Tornado strikes Irvington

Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 11:31 am

Large trees fell into common area in front of the Steamboat Era Museum, bringing power lines down with them.

Residents of Irvington woke up on Thursday, April 6 thinking it was going to be just like any other Thursday. The weather had a different idea in mind. At approximately 12:09 p.m. an EF-1 tornado touched down in Lancaster County near its border with the Rappahannock River, according to the National Weather Service.
From there it proceeded through West Irvington and reached a maximum wind speed of 90 miles per hour. The tornado continued northeast where it last touched down in a wooded area on the east side of the Hills Quarter Subdivision near King Carter Golf course, according to the National Weather Service. The total path was approximately 2.7 miles.
Homes and shops were left with damage including loss of roofing material, gutters and/or awnings, and siding material. Trees were uprooted and split into pieces, littering the landscape and knocking out power. There were no injuries or deaths reported in relation to the tornado. According to the Virginia Department of Emergency Management, the storm resulted in over $2 million in damage to residential properties and nearly $200,000 of damage to commercial properties. An estimated total of 45 structures were affected.
The owner of Cathi’s Gardens on Irvington Road was inside her shop when a large tree fell into the backside of her roof. Some Irvington residents also saw trees crash into their homes. The Steamboat Era Museum located on King Carter Drive in Irvington remained relatively unscathed as it was surrounded with uprooted trees and toppling power poles.
Straight line winds from the tornado carried over to Kilmarnock and caused another line of damage, according to the National Weather Service. Bon Secours – Rappahannock General Hospital faced blown out windows and doors, as well as some interior damage. For a period of time the hospital was in a diversion and only accepted patients with life-threatening injuries. The hospital released a statement claiming the damage was minor and there were no reported injuries. It also stated that patient care was never compromised. They refused local and state media from seeing the damage or coming without 100 feet of the building after the storm.